Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pick Your Poison ~ Leann Sweeney



Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Pub. Date: May 2004
ISBN-13:
9780451210319
272pp
Series:
Yellow Rose Mystery Ser.



Synopsis

Out of school, out of work, and out of motivation, Abby Rose is contemplating her life and wondering what to do next. It's the kind of situation that would get some girls down, but luckily Abby's got a heart the size of Texas -- and a bank account to match...

When Abby discovers her gardener, Ben, dead in the greenhouse one afternoon, the emptiness of her own life hits her like a glass of ice-cold Texas tea. Ever since her father died, she's been mooning around the pool, making herself as useful as a junebug on a daisy. When the sexy detective from the Houston P.D. tells her it was poison that killed Ben, Abby realizes what she needs to do with herself: solve a murder. Little does she suspect that the answers to her questions about Ben's death will unlock secrets about her own past -- and might change her entire future...



Pick Your Poison is an outstanding debut!!! Leann Sweeney has penned a saucy, sassy, lovable character in spitfire Abby Knight!

Leann delivers the goods & there is no sleuth like Abby ~ she is a standout!

It's hard to believe Pick Your Poison is Leann's first mystery. I wondered if she was writing incognito.

Trust me, I did my own bit of sleuthing to make sure Sweeney wasn't writing under a hush~hush pseudonym. Yes, it is that splendid.

Leann's setting is a character all its own. I wanted to loll poolside w/ Abby, Webster & Kate. I'd sip on Raspberry Lemonade w/ crushed ice while kissing Webster in between dips in the luxurious pool.

Yes! I imagined living in River Oaks. I wanted to visit Houston & Galveston while reading this delightful series.

Leann described the setting so distinctly she deserves recognition for that alone. I felt the scorching Texas heat cloying me like molasses.

Pick Your Poison showcases impressive characters. Abby may be an amateur sleuth by cozy standards but there is nothing amateur about Abby! Pick Your Poison has absorbing characters that make you give a darn!

Despite the fact that Leann Sweeney is one of my absolute favorite authors, I will tell you a little too much is given early on, but it is a debut & she has only gotten better as the series progressed.

Now that that's out of the way...

Pick Your Poison is chock-full w/ action, mystery, romance & an uproarious fun time!

I don't know about you, but in today's erratic economy where on earth can you find a boisterously wild & exciting adventure for $6.99?

Grab a copy ~ copies to keep around for gifts is even better ~ of Leann Sweeney's Pick Your Poison.

Pick Your Poison is top-notch! Leann Sweeney deserves a platinum dagger.


Leann doesn't try to write funny~ it is a natural talent.

Leann is one of my comfort reads... no matter what she takes me away from it all.

"Don't Mess with Texas" "Don't Mess with Abby Rose"!!!



Psst! Leann's new Cats in Trouble series is out now. Grab a copy of The Cat, the Quilt, and the Corpse while you're @ it.

Just don't forget my gal Abby!!!

Check out Leann @
www.leannsweeney.com

Buy from Amazon

The Yellow Rose Mysteries series is now available through Recorded Books & Audible.com.









2 comments:

  1. I just love covers like this. I like the southerness of the mystery but it doesn't sound like it would be very memorable after I read it. Plus, I'm not too sure if I want to start another series right now... I'm drowning in them! Glad you really liked it though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would love it. When you get the chance to give it a try... go for it!

    ReplyDelete