Courtesy of Jodi Picoult's website:
When Charlotte and Sean O’Keefe’s daughter, Willow, is born with severe osteogenesis imperfecta, they are devastated – she will suffer hundreds of broken bones as she grows, a lifetime of pain. As the family struggles to make ends meet to cover Willow’s medical expenses, Charlotte thinks she has found an answer. If she files a wrongful birth lawsuit against her ob/gyn for not telling her in advance that her child would be born severely disabled, the monetary payouts might ensure a lifetime of care for Willow. But it means that Charlotte has to get up in a court of law and say in public that she would have terminated the pregnancy if she’d known about the disability in advance – words that her husband can’t abide, that Willow will hear, and that Charlotte cannot reconcile. And the ob/gyn she’s suing isn’t just her physician – it’s her best friend.
Tissues... check! Cucumber slices...in the fridge! Chocolate... ya better believe it! Pure Cashmere Throw Blanket ~ Natural 3 Ply....check! Hot Cocoa...oh, yeah! Chocolate...
Jodi Picoult’s latest, Handle With Care, is the ideal escape~ a riveting page~turner of a novel, but you must have chocolate & tissues handy.The book is written as a series of chapters directed to Willow as an explanation to her of why certain behaviors were exhibited by the person speaking, although occasionally explanations are directed to the reader instead. Sound a bit confusing? Actually it is a skillful way to impart the story & have it not be run-of-the-mill in a powerfully inconceivable situation.Until you become accustomed to the flow, you may become distracted by some awkward sentence construction. Once you are in the groove, you will see how this advances the plot.Picoult introduces us to unforgettable characters & her ornate dialogue only enriches this heart-wrenching drama.Picoult's 16th novel, Handle With Care, is a must for Picoult fans & will definitely garner even more to the gifted sphere that is Jodi Picoult.
Book clubs here's one to add to the list.
To hear the latest podcast: The Story Behind Handle With Care. You can Listen online or download the mp3 and listen on your iPod!
- The Book Resort
- The ultimate luxury for me is lounging on a beach reading, w/ my doggies, slathered in SPF, bottles of icy Poland Spring, and frosty cans of Diet Cream, Diet Mug & Diet Pepsi. I love mysteries!!! Nancy Drew planted the seed & Mary Higgins Clark ignited the spark. I Love YA, MG, Cozies, Coastal settings, Suspense & Thrillers, !!! Always in search of books that make me say, "Now, that's a book"! As for Twi-snore, I'll pass. If I want a vamp story... Moonlight is on DVD... Love Alex O'Loughlin ;p.
- Prism ~ Faye Kellerman & Aliza Kellerman
- Dead On ~ Robert W. Walker
- Perfect Chemistry ~ Simone Elkeles
- Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen Series #6) ~ J...
- All The Way Home ~ Wendy Corsi Staub
- Bulls Island ~ Dorothea Benton Frank
- Candy Apple Dead ~ Sammi Carter
- A Peach of a Murder: A Fresh-Baked Mystery ~ Livia...
- Better Off Wed: An Annabelle Archer Mystery ~ Laur...
- Nutty as a Fruitcake ~ Mary Daheim
- No One to Trust ~ Iris Johansen
- Murder of a Small-Town ~ Denise Swanson
- Mum's the Word ~ Kate Collins
- Pick Your Poison ~ Leann Sweeney
- Blue-Eyed Devil ~ Lisa Kleypas
- Sugar Daddy ~ Lisa Kleypas
- A Murderous Glaze ~ Melissa Glazer
- Best Intentions ~ Emily Listfield
- Shadowed Summer ~ Saundra Mitchell
- Murder 101 ~ Maggie Barbieri
- Passin' ~ Karen E. Quinones Miller
- Shop till You Drop ~ Elaine Viets
- Do You Want to Know a Secret? ~ Mary Jane Clark
- Remember Me ~ Sophie Kinsella
- Death of A Tart ~ Kate Borden
- Murder Is Binding ~ Lorna Barrett
- Candy Cane Murder ~ Joanne Fluke, Laura Levine, Le...
- The Association ~ Bentley Little
- Wake ~ Lisa McMann
- Paint It Red ~ Carla Cassidy
- A Catered Murder ~ Isis Crawford
- Last Writes: A Jaine Austen Mystery ~ Laura Levine...
- Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery) ~ Jessica Conant-...
- Death Angel ~ Linda Howard
- This Pen for Hire: A Jaine Austen Mystery ~ Laura ...
- Malice ~ Lisa Jackson
- Handle with Care ~ Jodi Picoult
- The Case of the Tough-Talking Turkey ~ Claudia Bis...
- The Case of the Roasted Onion ~ Claudia Bishop
- Murder Off The Books ~ Evelyn David
- What Lies in Shadow ~ Tina Wainscott
- Cries and Whiskers ~ Clea Simon
- Cattery Row ~ Clea Simon
- Mew is for Murder ~ Clea Simon
- Sit, Stay, Slay ~ Linda O Johnston
- Set Sail for Murder ~ Carolyn Hart
- Carbs & Cadavers ~ J.B. Stanley
- ▼ May (47)