Thursday, September 24, 2009

Swim the Fly ~ Don Calame



Publisher: Candlewick Press
Pub. Date: April 2009
ISBN-13:
9780763641573
Age Range: Young Adult
352pp

Synopsis

Fifteen-year-old Matt Gratton and his two best friends, Coop and Sean, always set themselves a summertime goal. This year's? To see a real-live naked girl for the first time — quite a challenge, given that none of the guys has the nerve to even ask a girl out on a date. But catching a girl in the buff starts to look easy compared to Matt's other summertime aspiration: to swim the 100-yard butterfly (the hardest stroke known to God or man) as a way to impress Kelly West, the sizzling new star of the swim team. In the spirit of Hollywood’s blockbuster comedies, screenwriter-turned-YA-novelist Don Calame unleashes a true ode to the adolescent male: characters who are side-splittingly funny, sometimes crude, yet always full of heart.

Oh, my! Don Calame is one of the most humorous writers to walk this universe. Swim the Fly knocked me out. I was so immersed in Calame's witty prose, I just found myself turning the pages rapidly & it still didn't seem fast enough.

Swim the Fly is a must read for both males & females. Matt & his lovable cohorts get themselves into so many priceless scenarios you will be rolling so much your sides will ache. You will shake your head @ their hijinks, nod as their shenanigans ebb & flow & you find yourself relating to their comical teenage adventures.

Calame is an artisan when it comes to creating characters. Each individual had an unrivaled
trait & a voice that was intrinsic to each personality. Don't let me get started on Matt's grandfather ~ he alone delivered uproarious scenes that made my sides throb.
Swim the Fly is a phenomenal novel. I was so engaged w/ the adventures of the Calame's sidesplitting players, I was reluctant to reach the ending. It. Was. That. Hilarious.

I can't wait to get my hands on the next whimsical treat Calame delivers!

Run, don't walk , to grab a copy of Swim the Fly!

Check out my interview w/ the campy Don Calame here.

Visit Don's website.

Thank you, Candlewick, for this awesome book to review.







No comments:

Post a Comment