Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Real Real ~ Emma Maclaughlin & Nicola Kraus


Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Pub. Date: May 2009
ISBN-13:
9780061720406
Age Range: 12 and up
320pp


Synopsis

Imagine there was never a Laguna Beach, a Newport Harbor, the shimmering Hills. Imagine that your hometown—your school—is the first place XTV descends to set up cameras.

Now imagine they've trained them on you.

When Jesse O'Rourke gets picked for a "documentary" being filmed at her school in the Hamptons she's tempted to turn down the offer. But there's a tuition check attached to being on the show, and Jesse needs the cash so she can be the first in her family to attend college. All she has to do is trade her best friend for the glam clique she's studiously avoided, her privacy for a 24/7 mike, and her sense of right and wrong for "what sells on camera." . . . At least there's one bright spot in the train wreck that is her suddenly public senior year: Jesse's crush has also made the cast.

As the producers manipulate the lives of their "characters" to heighten the drama, and Us Weekly covers become a regular occurrence for Jesse, she must struggle to remember one thing: the difference between real and the real real.


Let me start off by saying I am not really into reality TV @ all! I find it to be a tad torturous. I do watch The Real Housewives in all its incarnations & The Real Housewives of Orange County is my fave! Hands down The Real Housewives of Orange County is a guilty pleasure. I don't consider it reality foolishness, I rather think it is me hanging out w/ older galpals. I don't give a hoot about The Hills unless they have eyes. I only want to lounge @ a beach -- Laguna or Jones!

I do believe that Lauren & Kristin were the most promising to emerge from fakeality TV. I am a real television lover & think there is way too much "reality" on the small screen & miss the days of must see TV. I do tune into DWTS while channel surfing. Idol - fugetaboutit!

So, imagine my surprise when I found myself loving Emma Maclaughlin & Nicola Kraus' The Real Real! I wondered if the fact that it was set on Long Island played into my adulation.

Hmmm. What about the fact I am 20-25 mins from the coveted Hamptons. Nah! I was raised on the Island & I'm not impressed. So, what was it that had me enjoying my time w/ Jesse? Jesse!

Emma Maclaughlin & Nicola Kraus' YA debut is a winner! The Real Real is real real impressive. Emma Maclaughlin & Nicola Kraus skillfully advoided getting caught up in a cache of redundancies & over the top histrionics! Brava ladies! Brava!

The Real Real is the perfect beach read but make sure to set a timer to roll over & slather on the SPF because you will definitely become part of The Real Hampton Beach happenings.

I loved how Maclaughlin & Kraus mentioned the CW when mentioning the fictitious Park Avenue Confidential -- juicy goodness like a crisp, succulent gala apple. Delish.

Maclaughlin & Kraus created characters that are genuine -- whether they are genuinely good or greedy fame & fortune seekers.

Jesse is an amazing, caring & intelligent young adult who has integrity. She has morals - yep, imagine a reality star that isn't caught up w/ the fake fake! Yippee! Hats off to Maclaughlin & Kraus for this endearing quality in the delightful Jesse!

Drew is also a refreshing addition who is charming & diverting. Toss in the wicked fame & fortune hunters & you've got a spectacular read.

The Real Real isn't brimming w/ mindless fluff & senseless drivel. The Real Real delivers a message behind the tantalizing tale.

Maclaughlin & Kraus penned an edgy, entertaining & savvy look into the world of reality TV w/ The Real Real.

The Real Real is not to be missed missed.

Grab a copy of The Real Real & enjoy the dog days of summer!

Check out Emma Maclaughlin & Nicola Kraus @
www.emmaandnicola.com/.











1 comment:

  1. Hello, just wanted to stop by and say how much I've enjoyed reading your posts.

    You have a really cool and interesting blog and I look forward to reading more.

    Thank you for sharing it !

    ReplyDelete